Pages

Friday 20 February 2015

Easy Peasy Recipe: Pesto Sauce



We have been making our own pesto sauce for years. It is easy to prepare, stores fresh for a week in the fridge, versatile as pasta sauce or toast spread and good source of nutrients.

Personally, I love pesto sauce as an alternative to bolognese and carbonara. It is the green that attracts me! I am lucky that my family also welcomes this dish at our dinner rotation.



Occasionally, we cannot get our hands on fresh spinach so frozen spinach it is. We have also had fresh coriander, parsley, basil and kale. All deep green, and absolutely tasty. 

I would also add a dash of lemon juice, handful of grated parmesan cheese, sprig of fresh basil and some toasted pine nuts with extra virgin oil then blend until a creamy, thick and green sauce appears. The trick is to slowly add the extra virgin olive oil to obtain the right purée consistently. 



All that is left to do for a quick and easy meal is to grill some chicken breasts marinated in olive oil, dash of sea salt and pepper. Mix the pesto sauce thoroughly into boiled and drained fettuccine - et voilà

Fettuccine with pesto nest garnished with fresh basil tips, sliced grilled chicken on the side is our usual plating style. (I should be more disciplined with food shots before they are eaten!).
 
How do you prepare your signature pesto sauce? How do you serve them? Please do share!

Bon appetit!

Update as of 15.10.15:
JC made this, using this recipe. So proud of her!



2 comments:

  1. I have never made any pesto sauce ... I think I'd be the only one eating it in the household. Everyone seems to be afraid of green colored food haha.

    Since you make it sounds so easy, I think I might give it a try someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salam Puan L,

      Be sure to add a generous sprinkle of Parmesan to entice Laith and Zahed, Teehee!

      Delete