Pages

Sunday 12 January 2014

The Lazy Mum's Breakfast Menu

As much as I would love to serve "take it, or leave it", I can't. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day - I was raised to eat breakfast like a king and supper like a pauper.

What do I do to cope with the morning rush, school run and baby all at the same time? 

I rotate our breakfast on a menu. That way, we only ever eat the same things once or twice per month.

Of course there are days when The Little Girl just wants bananas and nothing else. I indulge her intake of fruits and vegetables, never her sugar cravings (I just don't purchase any Koko Krunch, she can get that from The Grandparents if we ever sleep over once a year!).

No, we are not food snobs. We are trying to eat as cleanly as possible. It is a lifestyle, and I would encourage my children to maintain this when they grow up and eventually have families of their own.

Some friends have noted that our sugar content is high in Cheerios, dumplings and such, so I am looking for ways to substitute those items without depriving the family of some "fun". Perhaps just fresh fruits with yoghurt will be suitable. By yoghurt, I mean those plain low fat version/Greek!

I am sharing my rotation menu here but please suggest more (I always welcome new, simple to prepare food ideas!)

Breakfast Rotation Menu:

1. Oats with walnuts, blueberries/bananas/strawberries.

2. Pancakes with maple syrup/honey/fruits.

3. Toast with honey/boysenberry compote/peanut butter/cheese spread/butter.

4. Scrambled eggs, baked beans with multigrain toast.

5. Cheerios/cereals with milk.

6. Rice porridge with condiment.

7. Roti prata with lentil purée, store bought once a month.

8. Red bean/lotus paste dumpling.

9. Muesli with plain yoghurt.

10. Fruits with yoghurt.

11. Nasi lemak, store bought once a month. 

12. Nyonya kueh, store bought once a month.

13. Caramelised bananas with French toast.

14. Poached eggs on toast with smoked salmon and spinach.

4 comments:

  1. I have such an issue with breakfast! I can't swallow sweet breakfast so savoury ones hit the spot! But I really can't do with nasi goreng, nasi lemak all my life, right? You can make some egg muffins (mini or regular sized!). Here's a recipe I LOVE and basically alter according to my taste (less yolks, more veges). And they freeze well so you can make them ahead of time (mine usually lasts a couple of weeks) and pop them out whenever you need them. I will usually wrap them individually and freeze them in a ziploc bag. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! I would really love to try it out.

      In fact, some friends have commented that some of my breakfast items have too much sugar. That means I will be redrafting this menu for next month. Eating healthy food is quite easy with some preparation.

      Delete
  2. Silly me! I forgot to add in the link for the muffins: http://paleogrubs.com/savory-breakfast-muffins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I feel your eagerness :) thanks so very much. I will try this out on a weekend.

      Delete